Broccoli Spanakopita Recipe
Cook Time: 40 minutes|
Servings: 10 rolls
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 head broccoli, finely chopped
- pinch ground nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- 20 sheets filo dough (about 1/2 package), covered with barely-damp towel
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Swirl in the olive oil and saute the onions until transluscent.
- Add in the garlic and the broccoli and saute for 3 minutes, or until the broccoli is just starting to get tender but still bright green.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove from heat and let cool until no longer steaming. Stir in the egg and the feta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lay 1 filo sheet on clean surface. Brush completely with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the broccoli filling 1" from the bottom edge, in the middle. Fold the left side of the filo sheet over, then fold the right side over. Fold the bottom edge towards to top and roll. Place on baking sheet seam side down. Brush the top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining to make 10 rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and crispy.