Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie) Recipe
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes|
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olve oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lb spinach, cleaned, tough stems removed
- 6 spring onion, cleaned, sliced in 1/4" lengths
- 1 leek, sliced in 1/4" lengths
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Add garlic, onions and leek. Sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach and sauté until leaves are wilted and liquid has cooked off, about 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly. Finely chop spinach and place in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Lightly oil a 12" metal baking pan.
- Add feta cheese to spinach, lightly salt and pepper to taste. Pour eggs over and mix all the ingredients well.
- Open phyllo pastry and place on flat work surface. Cover with a clean damp kitchen towel. Continue to cover stack as you remove each sheet.
- Layer half the phyllo in the pan, brushing each sheet generously with olive oil, allowing edges to hang over the sides.
- Put spinach mixture in and press the top down gently to smooth filling. Tuck in pastry draping over edges.
- Repeat layering with remaining phyllo, continuing to oil each layer.
- Using a sharp knife, score the upper layers (do not cut through to the bottom) into the pieces you will want to serve once it is ready.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool and serve.